Translate

jueves, 4 de junio de 2015

Paradoxically, the more our society tries to free itself from gender stereotypes, the more it becomes enslaved to them.


An African-American Woman Reflects on the Transgender Movement



by Nuriddeen Knight


Supporters of transgender ideology believe that they are freeing people from restrictive understandings of gender. In reality, the more our society tries to free itself from gender stereotypes, the more it becomes enslaved to them. 

By saying that people can be born in a body of the wrong gender, transgender activists are saying there is a set of feelings that are only allocated to women and another set for men.

My parents never bought Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, or Snow White. They weren’t stories told in our house or movies played on our TV. There was no Princess Tiana then, but my parents only showed us films with “colored” princesses: Mulan (Asian), Pocahontas (Native American), and Jasmine (Indian). We also loved the African animals of The Lion King. We never idealized whiteness in our house. None of this was done overtly, though it may have been intentional. Only in retrospect did I realize the kind of tacit self-love my parents were embedding in us.

Still, it wasn’t enough. Around the age of thirteen, I realized that the world was telling me that light skin and “good hair” were better, skinny was better, and whiteness was better. In fleeting moments, I wished I could be white. I begged my mom to straighten my hair, and she did. I went through sometimes unreasonable means to lose weight, and I tried to keep my somewhat light skin out of the sun.

If I had gone to my parents begging them to be white, I think they might have laughed, cried, comforted me, and worried what they did wrong as parents. But what if I had told them not only that I wanted to be white but that I actuallywas white? What if I had declared that the race of my body simply didn’t match that of my mind? I think they would’ve been deeply troubled.

  • The Bluest Eye ....
  • Race, Sex, and Gender  ....
  • Self-Love as a Virtue  ....
  • The Slavery of Freedom  ....

 ....

Read more: www.thepublicdiscourse.com


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario