Translate

martes, 27 de noviembre de 2012

“We are committed to an ecumenism of conviction, not an ecumenism of accommodation.”


By Francis J. Beckwith   

Those are the words of my friend, Timothy George, a Baptist theologian who serves as Dean of Beeson Divinity School at Samford University. He was referring to the signatories of “The Gift of Salvation,” one of the many statements issued by Evangelicals and Catholics Together, a group that was formed through the initiative of Fr. Richard John Neuhaus and Charles Colson, both of whom are no longer with us.


I spent most of last week experiencing the delights of this “ecumenism of conviction” first hand. I delivered three papers at the 64th annual meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society, the academic association for which I served as president until resigning a week after I was received back into the Catholic Church in May 2007. 

 Two of my papers were given on panels that directly addressed issues over which Catholics and Protestants disagree.
............

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario