The Making of Friedrich Nietzsche:
The Quest for Identity, 1844-1869
How did Nietzsche the philosopher come into being?
- The Nietzsche known today did not develop 'naturally', through the gradual maturation of some inborn character.
- Instead, from an early age he engaged in a self-conscious campaign to follow his own guidance, thereby cultivating the critical capacities and personal vision which figure in his books.
- As a result, his published works are steeped in values that he discovered long before he mobilized their results.
- Indeed, one could argue that the first work which he authored was not a book at all, but his own persona.
- Based on scholarship previously available only in German, this book examines Nietzsche's unstable childhood, his determination to advance through self-formation, and the ways in which his environment, notably the Prussian education system, alternately influenced and impeded his efforts to find his own way.
- It will be essential reading for all who are interested in Nietzsche.